6/25/13

Gluten-Free Oat Pancake Recipe

I love pancakes. LOVE. Like…… LOVE. You gotta live a little, and there’s no way I’m giving up pancakes, so here you have it: Guilt-free pancakes (with guilt-free syrup!). I know, it’s exciting, right??
photo (3)
Generic is the way to go for oats, but the best gluten free pancake flour is Bob’s Red Mill. It can be pretty expensive in the store, but you can get it on amazon for like $4 a bag (I buy it in bulk because that’s how many pancakes we eat in this house.)
Also, don’t be afraid of the golden flaxseed if you’ve never had it before. It’s tasteless inside of a pancake, and flaxseeds are awesome for you. (They’re loaded with omega 3′s and fiber.)
There’s one preface to this pancake project: You have to first put all of your oats into a blender/Ninja, and slice them up into tiny bits of what looks like oat powder. I just do my whole tub of oats at a time, then transfer the powder back to the tub. It looks like this:
Before….
And After…oats
Here’s what you need:
1 1/2 cups of oat powder.
1 cup Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free Pancake Mix
3/4 cup golden milled flaxseeds
2 1/2+ cups of water (or milk)
3 egg whites
-Mix the dry ingredients first,
-then add the egg whites and 2 cups of the water. *You’re going to want to let your pancake batter sit for 3 or 4 minutes because the oats soak up water. Add another 1/2 cup of water or so (I just keep adding little by little until it’s pour-able but not super thin and runny. The thicker your batter, the thicker and more dense your pancakes will be. Runnier batter makes thinner pancakes.)
-Pre-heat a griddle or pan to medium heat and either spray it with olive oil or–dare I say–grease it with butter. Pour 1/2 cup of delicious batter at a time and wait until the edges of the pancake start to cook. Flip, wait. Repeat.
photo
Clearly I am not a food photographer.
This recipe makes around 10 pancakes, depending on how much water you add and how thick each one is. They also take a little longer to cook than regular pancakes (Is “cook” pancakes correct?).
I make one at a time and it takes forever, so I end up needing to add a little water two or three times before I’m finished.
You should probably not eat all ten pancakes at one time, either. After they’re all made and slightly cooled, I cover them with plastic wrap, stick them in the fridge, and eat them throughout the week. I swear they’re even better heated up in the microwave. They’re also man-approved, B loves them.
The entire batch of pancakes contains 760 calories (if you used water and not milk), so at 10 pancakes that’s 76 calories each.
Then, instead of syrup, drizzle them (or soak them, if you prefer) with organic raw Agave nectar.
photo (7)
photo (3)
I’m huge on syrup and agave is a good substitute. It tastes a little different and really isn’t much of a comparison to real maple syrup (and I mean actual, real syrup from a tree, not Mrs. Butterworth’s) but I still like it. B wont try it, so we still have real syrup in the house. Most of the time I’ll just drizzle a tiny bit of real syrup, then agave over top of that. Live a little! #pancakesupportgroup

No comments:

Post a Comment