6/19/13

Addicted to Nutella, are we?

It happens to the best of us. Before I changed my eating habits I used to eat potato chips dipped in Nutella. Mmmm. Years later I still drool over the stuff when I see it only inches away from my organic peanut butter. Nutella advertisements will lead you to believe that Nutella itself is the perfect breakfast, but just how guilty should we feel when we eat this chocolate goodness? Let’s take a look:


First ingredient, Sugar. This means there’s more sugar in this than anything else. 22 grams for 2 tablespoons, to be exact. That’s the amount of sugar you should limit yourself to per DAY.
Second ingredient, modified palm oil. High in saturated fat, no more nutritious than a trans-fat. Palm oil isn’t a “healthy oil” that our body needs, but it’s added to Nutella to make it spread nicely.
So, Nutella, putting Sugar Oil on our toast in the morning is going to make us all skinny and happy and healthy? This is why I stay away from the stuff. I’d rather eat a cookie.
But then, yesterday at Giant Eagle, I came across this:




And the first thing we do when EVER we pick up a packaged food is? You got it, check the ingredients.
(clearly I have already eaten some of this what with the messy cap and all.)
First ingredient, hazelnuts.
Second ingredient… wait, what?? ALMONDS??? My life has changed forever.
The sugar is organic cane sugar, and it’s way WAY less. 7 grams per 2 tablespoons.
There is barely any oil at all in here (mainly because almonds and hazelnuts have their own oils inside, so there’s no need to add much extra.
Oh, and it’s vegan.
I can’t tell you enough how delicious this stuff tastes, and you truly don’t have to feel guilty for eating it. Last night for dessert I made a piece of ezekiel toast, slathered it with my new Hazelnut Almond butter, and crushed up a few walnuts on top. Hellooooo, awesome. You guys know I believe in treating your tastebuds to some deliciousness, just keep it clean and find the best possible option to satisfy your cravings.



No comments:

Post a Comment