10/17/13

Q&A: Do you recommend a nutrition program?

I think that most of us have (or had) no idea how to eat right. Five years ago I still ordered chicken tenders and fries (with extra ranch, my mouth still waters at the thought) at nice restaurants and didn't think twice about it. My best friend and I used to go on dates to Olive Garden (unlimited salad and breadsticks, with ranch, duh) and Salsitas (unlimited chips and queso, and ranch) allllll the time (like every day). Now I eat Ezekiel bread and chia seeds, hemp, flax, raw veggies, greek yogurt, smoothies... I'm about as snooty as they come with how I eat.



I spent some time in Thailand where they don't have ranch, ever, anywhere, so I was forced to change my eating ways. When I got back and hit the first Denny's I saw, I got so sick and felt so gross after eating a plate of fried food that I vowed to eat differently from then on. I'd already detoxed in Thailand, I might as well stay clean.

Two years of baby steps later, and now I'm that health food snob from Portlandia who asks what farm the grass-fed cow lived on before being turned into a burger.

Oh yeah, the question. The nutrition program I suggest is:

eating whole foods, not processed junk

Incorporating superfoods, only whole grains, no prepackaged snacks.

eating lots of vegetables and fruit


limiting your sugar intake and doing your best to avoid fake sugars. 

(Advocare contains sucralose, but I can't live without Slam. And that powerade zero water flavor shot nonsense is surprisingly delicious, sooo yeah, sorry. I don't use it often, so I figure the benefits (like being delicious) outweigh the risks. Ahh, whatever.

Drinking close to a gallon of water every day

And buy a nice travel cup to encourage your water drinking

Knowing your favorite guiltless cheat foods 

because you shouldn't deny yourself. Someone told me once that "if you don't eat that cookie, you're going to eat everything else and be unsatisfied until you get that cookie." I've found that there are some not entirely horrible ways to satisfy that cookie urge. Justin's, anyone?

Don't make it harder than it should be.

You're teaching yourself how to eat a different way than you're used to. Take it one step at a time. Gradually change little things in your diet instead of trying to do a whole-life overhaul because you'll freak out and end up eating a whole pizza two pizzas.

Once you're comfortable with those things and ready to take on an adventure, figure out how many calories you need a day (here), calculate your daily macronutrients (here), and track your meals in the MyFitnessPal app for a few weeks to calculate YOUR personal perfect nutrition plan. It takes some effort, but consider it an adventure. You'll come out on the other end a happier person who knows how to fuel their body. For a lifetime of personalized nutrition knowledge it's worth it, don't you think?

If you wanted the short answer:

If you do regular strength training and cardio, the Zone Diet is legit. Also a fan of Carb Cycling.

xo :)
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment