1/10/14

White Chia Seeds and Chia Gel


Doing some grocery shopping on Vitacost and came across these little beauties.

Why white chia seeds? I'm not sure why they're $2 more (probably because they look sweet) but black and white chia seeds are almost nutritionally identical. Black chia has a bit more antioxidants, and white has a little more protein.

If you're reading this like, "wait, what are chia seeds?" First read this.

I sprinkle chia seeds on my Ezekiel Pb&Js and I'm my cereal, mostly, but a hidden talent of the chia seed is its ability to make chia gel.

Chia gel happens when you mix chia seeds with water. The seeds are hydrophilic, meaning they hold onto water, turning the seeds into a gel that doesn't taste like anything, is full of fiber and antioxidants, and can be mixed into other foods to displace calories without diluting or changing the flavor.

Chia Gel Uses


Add chia gel to sauces, drinks, yogurt, jelly, veggie dip, baked goods (replaces butter/oil!), pie, pudding, (pudding pies! omg.) and anything else your heart desires. 

You know I love this kind of thing because it lets you eat more without actually eating more.

Chia Gel Recipe


*I don't think I should be allowed to post recipes anymore because they're usually too easy to be considered recipes!!

9:1 ratio of warm water to chia seeds. By weight, it's 9 ounces of water for every 1 ounce of chia seeds. It only takes two minutes for the chia to absorb the water. I don't usually measure this, I just add a little warm water to the seeds and mix them up in a cup. You could put them in a jar and shake them up, whatever. Easy peasy.

Try out this little miracle seed in gel form and let me know what you think! 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment