3/2/14

Forbidden Rice: Healthier than Blueberries!

Last Saturday I went to Whole Foods and Trader Joes in Cleveland. One of the amazing things I came home with was "forbidden rice".


Whole Foods' bulk section has I swear like, thirty different kinds of rice.


If you haven't been to Whole Foods, do yourself a favor. Seriously. Rice, grains, pasta, flours, beans, soup mixes, nuts, seeds, dried fruits, COCONUT COVERED DATES (my favorite), organic honey... seriously, go. (If you need more convincing, check out Whole Foods website here.)

We looked up the nutrition facts of forbidden rice when we got home, and it turns out it's exponentially healthier than brown rice. And blueberries, they say.

Here's an article from CNN in 2010 on the health benefits of forbidden rice (also called Black Rice). Black rice bran contains antioxidants called anthocyanins, responsible for the black/purple color. These anthocyanins are also found in blueberries, but black rice doesn't contain sugar.

Ancient Chinese Legend says black rice is so rare, delicious, and healthy that only the emperors were allowed to eat it.

I'm so glad I found this. I don't remember how much I paid for it at Whole Foods, but you can buy it on Amazon here.

What are you going to put black rice in??

We have been eating tons of chipotle-style burrito bowls. Post coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment